The mission of UCM is to engage the Ohio University and Athens communities in spiritual growth, work for social justice, and community service guided by socially progressive and interfaith values.
What We Do
UCM is a non-profit organization focused on spiritual growth and progressive social action. Our ministry offers a variety of programming, events, and opportunities for spiritual growth, community service, and social justice. Our programs are free and open to everyone, regardless of who you are, what you believe (or don’t), or where you come from. Radical hospitality is what we do and we mean it!
Since its incorporation in 1968, UCM has played a role in the start-up of many local organizations, including:
- Appalachian Peace and Justice Network
- Central American Solidarity Committee
- Child Assault Prevention Program
- Gay Activist Alliance (later GALA and Open Doors)
- My Sister’s Place
- River Valley Community School
- Southeastern Ohio Foodbank
- Thursday Supper
- Women’s Studies Program (now Women’s, Gender & Sexuality Studies) at Ohio University
UCM can’t do this alone and is indebted to many, including our many individuals and Sustaining donors. YOU can become one today through our PayPal account or mail your tax-deductible donation to UCM, 18 N. College Street, Athens, OH 45701.